Polish Dance Platform 2017 programme announced
The Institute of Music and Dance, together with the co-organisers, are pleased to invite everyone to the finale of the Polish Dance Platform which will take place on 1-4 April 2017 in Bytom. In this year’s edition of the project, the selection of performances was entrusted to the artistic committee comprising five artists: Leszek Bzdyl, Stefan Drajewski, Anka Herbut, Edyta Kozak, Anna Królica. Over 80 pieces were submitted for review for the 2017 Polish Dance Platform. At the committee session on 7 January 2017, held at the seat of the Bytom Dance Theatre and the ROZBARK Movement, the Artistic Committee selected 12 performances qualified for presentation at the Polish Dance Platform in Bytom. Following is the list of the finalists.
The Committee convened in the following (full) line-up:
1. Leszek Bzdyl
2. Stefan Drajewski
3. Anna Herbut
4. Edyta Kozak
5. Anna Królica
The Committee unanimously chose Leszek Bzdyl as the President of the Committee Session.
The Committee members involved in the production of the works submitted for the Polish Dance Platform 2017 did not participate in the voting on their own pieces.
Selection criteria adopted by the Committee:
- high artistic quality
- innovative approach to the subject
- artistic maturity of the authors
- original concept and competent selection of expressive means
- originality in the context of the Polish dance scene and the international developments in dance
- dance technique
The list of performances qualified for presentation at the Polish Dance Platform 2017 (in alphabetical order):
1. Excavatory Ballet, Iza Szostak
2. Bataille and the Dawn of New Days, Sławek Krawczyński, Anna Godowska
3. The Ninth, Via Negativa/ Ja Ja Ja Ne Ne Ne
4. noish~, Maria Zimpel
5. Beyond the Horizon, Kielecki Teatr Tańca
6. Stalking Paradise, Lubelski Teatr Tańca
7. Death. Exercises and Variations, Renata Piotrowska-Auffret
8. This Is a Musical, Karol Tymiński
9. TOTAL, Paweł Sakowicz
10. Why Don't You Like Sadness, Katarzyna Chmielewska/ Teatr Dada von Bzdülöw
11. Witajcie/Welcome, Aurora Lubos
12. Make Yourself, Marta Ziółek/ Komuna//Warszawa
The Committee has also recommended Anna Piotrowska’s Lost in the Skin as a host presentation of the Polish Dance Platform 2017 by the Bytom Dance Theatre and ROZBARK Movement.
Substantiation of the verdict:
The pieces qualified for the Polish Dance Platform 2017 include performances of great thematic, formal, and expressive diversity. The Committee has acknowledged the works by artists creating original choreographic idioms. The selected pieces also represent the major and characteristic dance tendencies in the past two years, which have influenced the developments in Polish dance. Significantly, the majority of the selected works are collective projects, thus marking a visible turn in the artistic research among both young and mature dance artists.